Prospective students interested in applying for the BFA Theatre Performance (Acting) program should schedule an appointment to audition in Buffalo or New York City. You may also audition in the spring of your freshman year at UB. An audition is only required for admission to the BFA Theatre Performance (Acting) program, not for the BA Theatre major, which is a liberal arts degree. BA Theatre majors take acting courses, audition, and are cast regularly in productions, but they are not guaranteed spots in the BFA acting sequence courses.
BFA Theatre Performance (Acting) Audition Dates for Students entering UB in Fall 2013:
For the audition each student must:
- Perform two contrasting monologues from published pays, not to exceed a total running time of four minutes. The monologues may be from comedies or dramas of any period, although more modern works are preferred. The pieces must be memorized. Try to include some physical movement, and do not perform either monologue sitting down for the entire piece.
- Wear neat clothing that honestly shows how you look and move. Avoide constrictive or trendy clothing and chunky shoes.
- Choose material that is appropriate for your age, experience, and character range. Avoid dialects, extreme physicality, and props.
- Be prepared to answer some brief questions from the auditioners about your experience, strengths, weaknesses, and goals. Be honest, direct, and relaxed. We want to get to know you, and we want you to do your best.
- Performing Arts Profile required, see below for information
- Cost of the Audition Workshop is $30.00. Checks must be received before confirmation of audition is sent. Cash and credit cards cannot be accepted, please send a check or money order only (See below).
PLEASE MAKE THE AUDITION RESERVATION BY FILLING OUT AN AUDITION FORM.
After you submit the on-line form, you must send an Audition Workshop Fee check in the amount of $30.00 payable to the Department of Theatre & Dance and mail to:
Department of Theatre & Dance
Audition Workshop Fee
University at Buffalo
285 Alumni Arena
Buffalo, NY 14260
After your check is received, you will be mailed a confirmation of your audition date.
Performing Arts Profile:
Prospective THEATRE PERFORMANCE students are required to bring a PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE with them to the audition. This profile should be clearly labeled with the student's name and should include:
- Resume of production/performance experience
- Training History
- Career Goal Statement (three paragraph, 150 words)
- Head shot: 3" x 5" or larger photo
- Theatre students - two reference letters that include the references' contact information.