Dance Auditions for Students entering UB in 2015:
All Dance Majors must audition for acceptance into the program .
Students must audition on one of the dates below only.
There are no individual auditions available.
October 17, 2014 - University at Buffalo - 9 am
November 21, 2014 - University at Buffalo - 9 am
February 27, 2015 - University at Buffalo - 9 am & 11 am
New York City:
Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 9 am Pearl Studios
500 Eighth Avenue (between 35th and 36th)
New York, NY 10018
How to Register
- Please make an audition reservation by filling out the online registration form. Click here: Audition Form for Dance.
- Audition Workshop Fee: $30.00. Checks must be received before confirmation of the audition is confirmed. Check or Money Order only.
- Submit the on-line form, and send the Audition Workshop Fee ($30.00) made payable to the University at Buffalo Department of Theatre & Dance
- You will receive confirmation of your audition date in the mail after receipt of the Audition Workshop Fee. Mail your audition fee to:
Department of Theatre & Dance
Audition Workshop Fee
University at Buffalo
285 Alumni Arena
Buffalo, NY 14260
What to Bring
Performing Arts Profile : Prospective dance students must bring a PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE with them to the audition. You will hand it in when registering the day of your audition. Please place the following materials in a folder. Here is what to include:
- Name, Contact Information: Address, Email, Phone; High School (College if a transfer student)
- Dance Training History - include where you studied dance and with whom; what styles you studied; performances; If applicable include significant roles; summer study and awards both in dance and academics.
- Any other information related to your dance experience that you think is relevant.
- Two references, names and addresses only (references may be from an academic teacher, dance teacher or guidance counselor)
Career Goal Statement
- Career Goal Statement - a one-page essay about why you want to major in dance in college, why you are considering UB and what you long term goals are in the field of dance.
- 3" x 5" or larger photo - head shot
- 3" x 5" or larger photo in 1st arabesque
- Photos will not be returned. Photos do not have to be professional portraits, but must be clear and of good quality
- Audition Structure: class format including ballet, modern and jazz. Tap placement is determined by years of experience.
- No solo piece is required
- Proper Dance attire:
o Ladies - solid colored leotard and tights; ballet slippers, jazz shoe
o Gentlemen - Black tights, or jazz pants, ballet slippers, jazz shoes
o Convertible tights suggested for easy transition from ballet to modern
Additional Dance Audition Information
- Dance auditions are held in the UB Center for the Arts Dance Studios. Use the Center's main entrance. Take the central staircase down to the lower level. Turn left. The dance studios are straight ahead on the right.
- A Parking Pass is required if you are going to park on campus. You will receive one with your confirmation letter.
- 8:30 - 9:00 A.M. Registration for 9:00 A.M. Audition (Group 1)
9:00 - 11:00 A.M. (Group 1)
- Molly Casarella, Academic Advisor, will speak to parents (Group 1) in the Drama Theatre
- 10:30 - 11:00 A.M. Registration for 11:00 A.M. Audition (Group 2)
- 11:00 - 11:30 A.M. All Dance Parents and Students (Groups 1 & 2) Meet with Dance Program Director, Jeanne Fornarola (Drama Theatre)
- 11:30 - 1:00 P.M. Audition (Group 2) Molly Casarella, Academic Advisor, will speak to parents (Group 2)
- 11:30 A.M. Informal Tour of CFA
- 3:00 P.M. Informal Tour of CFA
1:15 P.M. University Tour (if interested, you must register online at admissions.buffalo.edu, click on Visit, and then Visit UB Program)
- 7:30 P.M. Evening Department Performance (Optional)
- Call (716) 645-6897 to reserve up to four complimentary tickets in your name
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Jeanne Fornarola , Director of Dance