Music Theatre Auditions
All Music Theatre Majors must audition for acceptance into the program.
Music Theatre Audition Dates for Students Entering UB in Fall 2014:
New York City Auditions:
Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 9 am
Taking place at:
500 Eighth Avenue (between 35th and 36th)
New York, NY 10018
University at Buffalo Auditions:
Friday, February 6, 2015 - 9 am
Friday, February 20, 2015 - 9 am
Please click here to fill out an Audition Form for Music Theatre.
For the audition each student must:
- Be prepared to sing two contrasting songs from the standard Music Theatre repertoire ( No "American Idol" style pop, rock, etc.) Please bring the music for your songs. An accompanist will be provided. Music must be in the candidate's key. Selections are to be no longer than 32 bars in length.
- Be prepared to attend dance classes. Proper dance attire includes: solid colored tights and leotards or unitards, or tight dance pants; no bare midriff or excessive layers. Bring ballet slippers and jazz shoes.
- Prospective students are asked to present an age-appropriate serious or comedic monologue from a classic or contemporary play. The monologue is to be no longer than one minute. If the monologue is longer, the auditionee may be cut off.
- A Music Theory placement test will be administered.
- Performing Arts Profile required, see below for information.
- Cost of the Audition Workshop is $30.00. Checks must be received before confirmation of audition is sent. Cash and credit cards cannot be accepted, please send a check or money order only (See below).
PLEASE MAKE THE AUDITION RESERVATION BY FILLING OUT AN AUDITION FORM.
After you submit the on-line form, you must send an Audition Workshop Fee check in the amount of $30.00 payable to the Department of Theatre & Dance and mail to:
Department of Theatre & Dance
Audition Workshop Fee
University at Buffalo
285 Alumni Arena
Buffalo, NY 14260
After your check is received, you will be mailed a confirmation of your audition date.
Performing Arts Profile:
Prospective MUSIC THEATRE students are required to bring a PERFORMING ARTS PROFILE with them to the audition. This profile should be clearly labeled with the student's name and should include:
- Training History
- Dance students - two references (names and addresses only)
Music Theatre students - two reference letters that include the references' contact information
- Career Goal Statement (one paragraph, 50 words)
- 3" x 5" or larger photo - head shot or dance pose
- Music Theatre Students only - resume of production/performance experience